I smiled as I made my own little meringues with my daughter, and of course I had to tell the story of my grocery store treat when I was young. I paired them with a lemon cupcake - Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. Here is a recipe for meringues if you would like to try them yourself:
A couple important tips when working with meringue: Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. Make sure all utensils, bowls etc. are clean, dry, and free of grease.
4 large egg whites (Room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (You can add any flavour)
Sprinkles and food colouring (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 225º
2. Cover large baking sheets with parchment paper
3. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar and then powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time while mixing on high. Beat until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla (and food colouring if you wish) mix just until blended.
4. Place batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe on prepared sheets to desired size. They won't expand during baking.
5. Add sprinkles if desired.
6. Bake at 225º for 1 1/2 hours, turn oven off and let meringues sit in closed oven for another 1 1/2 hours. Carefully remove the meringues from paper.
I placed my little meringues on top of lemon filled lemon cupcakes, topped with buttercream. Delicious!
|Lemon Meringue Cupcakes|